Custom Search

Monday, December 8, 2008

Read The Navigator online

Hey Armada fans, the latest issue of The Armada Navigator is out there for you. You can click here to read it online. Make sure to check out the biggest news: center fielder Steve Moss has been acquired by the Seattle Mariners organization. Best of luck, Mossy.

CF Moss signs with Mariners

On the first day of free agency, Armada centerfielder Steve Moss wasn’t expecting his phone to ring. That didn’t stop the Golden Baseball League commissioner from contacting him.

“I received a phone call from Kevin Outcalt,” said Moss in an email. “He explained that Seattle contacted him and may have an interest in signing me. I was surprised anyone was contacting me on the first day of the free-agent signing period. He asked for my permission to sell my contract, and of course my answer was yes.”

The Seattle Mariners purchased the contract of Moss, making him the fourth member of the Fleet acquired by a Major League organization since June.

After one season in Long Beach in which Moss hit a career-best .299 with 10 home runs and 44 RBI in 68 games, the Southern California native is returning to affiliated baseball with the Seattle Mariners.

The Milwaukee Brewers drafted Moss, 24, out of high school in the 29th round of the 2002 draft. After a year of rookie ball, Moss spent two years with the Beloit Snappers in the single-A Midwest League. He continued to rise through the Brewers system with the Brevard County Manatees in the high-A Florida State League in 2005 and with the Huntsville Stars in the AA Southern League from 2006-07.

“The new GM of the Mariners had run scouting for the Brewers last year and brought over a number of his Brewer staff as he took the Seattle job a few weeks ago,” said Outcalt through email. “The first player move they made was to sign Steve Moss. Moss had originally been drafted by the Brewers and played in their organization, and it was a very tough release for them.”

Moss will most likely land in High A or Double-A with the Mariners to start the 2009 season, but he’s not assuming anything is guaranteed.

“Nothing is ever set in stone, and anything can happen,” said Moss. “I am going to go into spring training with my goals set high.

The always-amicable outfielder got off to a hot start with Long Beach, blast three home runs in the season-opening series in St. George. After missing 20 games in June with an injury, Moss returned to the lineup and continued to produce, putting together hitting streaks of 12 and 11 games. The 2008 season served as a homecoming year for Moss.

“Playing so close to home actually felt foreign,” he said. “Throughout my career I've been assigned to remote
places around the country, and that is an aspect of this profession I have enjoyed. But it was nice
sleeping in my own bed.”

No, he won’t get to enjoy his own bed as he spends next season in the Mariners system, but that shouldn’t be too much of a strain on him.

“I am most looking forward to continue the pursuit of my career,” he said. “I am a firm believer in meaning behind events that occur in an individual's life. If you have faith in your pursuit then success should fall into place. After the Brewers released me, it gave me the chance to rejuvenate my passion for the game and to never take any thing for granted.

“The right path isn't necessarily the shortest and most clear one. I have been given a rare second chance and I intend on making the most of it.”

The Armada will miss Moss’s production, but it might be even harder to replace his personality. When asked what he will miss the most about his time with the Armada, his answer was simple.

“The skunks.”